The Weston Intermediate School Visual Arts program is rich, multi-layered and prepares students for a world that will demand their creativity, resilience, and excellence in problem solving skills. Students are encouraged to express their unique and creative ideas, take chances, solve problems independently and collaboratively, and analyze their mistakes while finding ways to turn them into successes.
In grades 3-5, Weston Intermediate School Students:
• Explore a wide variety of media including paint, pencil, collage, and pastel to create 2 dimensional art works as well as clay, plaster, reed and wire to create 3 dimensional sculptures and forms.
• Explore and apply of the Elements of Art and Principles of Design.
• Mix their own colors, shades and tints using variety of media including watercolor, Tempera and acrylic paint, as well as pastel and colored pencil.
• Create fine crafts through manipulation of a wide variety of fibers, materials, and mixed media.
• Refine drawing skills through work on The Human figure, proportion, and perspective.
• Are asked to think critically by analyzing, synthesizing and using critical judgment when discussing historically and culturally important works of art and applying these thoughts to their own work.
• Explore self-expression with a strong emphasis on how artists plan their work, develop ideas and reflect on their own outcomes and how they connect with their lives.
Weston School District Visual Arts Philosophy:
Artistic creation and appreciation are fundamental to the human experience. Education in the visual arts fosters an integrated mode of experience, which leads to both retention and comprehension of knowledge.
Critical thinking and intuition stimulate experimentation and risk-taking, fundamental components of creativity and problem solving.
The arts are a universal human phenomenon and a valuable means of communication. Involvement in them, both as participant and observer, promotes a deeper understanding and acceptance of the similarities and differences among races, religions and cultures.
Weston Schools is committed to providing a challenging, nurturing environment for our students. Through the alignment of the Visual Arts Curriculum to State and National Standards, the dedication of our resources to rigorous student learning and the implementation of innovative and proven instructional strategies, the Visual Arts Program in Weston Schools fosters students mastery in the arts.
Visual Arts Curriculum Objectives:
The Weston Public Schools Visual Art curriculum strives to provide a wide range of visual arts experiences that will encourage artistic growth and appreciation of the arts as well as creative and critical thinking and analytical skills.
Components of the Curriculum:
Click on a name to link to their web site: